In this episode, I talk about how to overcome the Resistance. Steven Pressfield coined this phrase to describe that invisible, destructive force that opposes you any time you try to start a new project or make an improvement in any area of your life.
I spoke on this topic at the recent Platform Conference, and the response was tremendous. So I wanted to share some practical counter-measures for dealing with the Resistance in your own life and work.
Click to Listen
In order to deal with the Resistance, you have to first understand what it is. It has four attributes.
- Attribute #1: It is invisible.
- Attribute #2: It is internal.
- Attribute #3: It is insidious.
- Attribute #4: It is infallible.
But what can you do about it?
You can only defeat the Resistance by understanding its three primary strategies and applying appropriate countermeasures.
- Strategy #1: Fear. The typical response to this strategy is procrastination.
The countermeasure is to START.
- Strategy #2: Uncertainty. The typical response is distraction.
The countermeasure is to FOCUS.
- Strategy #3: Doubt. This usually occurs at the end of a project, and the typical response is to quit and leave the work unfinished.
The countermeasure is to FINISH.
Defeating the Resistance is essential to your growth, but more importantly it is essential to your transformation. Who you are becoming is more important than what you are doing.
- Jeff Sanders asked, “How do you keep your own creativity from becoming another form of the Resistance?”
- Jen McDonough asked, “What kinds of outside things do you bring into your life to help fight the resistance?
- Joanna Holman asked, “How do you know what you are facing is Resistance rather than a sign that what you are doing is not the right thing for you or you are doing too much and need to back off?”
- Marc Schelske asked, “What has helped you to stop the cycle of perfectionism and get the product out the door?”
- Sue Detweiler asked, “What are ways that we personally create Resistance and sabotage our own progress?”
- Travis Dommert asked, “How does the Resistance work in the presence of a group?”
- I want to remind you about my 21-session audio course, entitled “Get Published.” It’s everything I learned about publishing in my thirty years in the publishing industry, most recently CEO of Thomas Nelson, a literary agent, and two-time New York Times bestselling author.
If you’ve ever thought about writing a book but don’t know where to start, or if you already have a book but want to do everything you can to make the biggest splash you can in the marketplace, this course is for you.
- Platform University continues to do amazingly well. Yesterday, we posted a killer Master Class with Jeff Goins. It’s all about “Going Pro.”
Jeff has just recently done this with his own platform. It is now supporting him full-time, and he explains in the class how he did it in only two years.
- In my next podcast, I’ll be taking you “Inside My Toolbox.” I’m going to share with you all the tools I use on a daily basis.
If you have a question on this subject, please leave me a voicemail message. This is a terrific way to cross-promote YOUR blog or website, because I will link to it, just like I did with the callers in this episode.
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Book: The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Book: Do the Work by Steven Pressfield
- Book: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller
- Book: The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) by Seth Godin
- Course: Get Published
- Membership: Platform University
- Podcast: Episode 28, “Reengineer Your Morning Ritual”
- Software: Evernote
- Quote: W.H. Murray on Commitment
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.