When bad things happen, it’s natural to ask questions like, “Why did this happen to me?” or “What did I do to deserve this?” The problem with these questions is that they are unproductive and disempowering.
The bottom line is this: you can’t always choose what happens to you, but you can choose how you respond to those situations. This is where our real power—and our real freedom—is found.
Click to Listen
Here are four steps—the ABCDs—for becoming more intentional with your response when you experience pain or setback.
- A: Acknowledge the pain.
- B: Be with it.
- C: Have compassion on yourself.
- D: Do something different.
As difficult as the pain or the setback might be, if we look back on our lives, most of us would admit that these times are often followed by tremendous growth and blessing.
- Chris Christensen asked, “What do you think about the question, ‘How do we keep this from happening again?”
- Don Suess asked, “How can see with the eye of faith when you become shipwrecked by a catastrophic loss?”
- Joan Harrison asked, “What do you think about the question, ‘Why have I attracted this into my life?’”
- John Richardson asked, “How can you tell when something bad happens if it is really good?”
- Mike Skiff asked, “When someone close to you experiences pain or heartache, how can you respond graciously in a way that is truly helpful?”
- Next week, I will be speaking at the SCORRE Conference in Orlando, Florida. This conference is already sold out, but you can register for the next one in October. Registration officially opens on Monday, May 6th. We always sell out, so if you are thinking about coming, I suggest you register sooner rather than later.
- If you are considering launching your own platform, you need to start with a self-hosted WordPress blog. This is not as complicated as it sounds. In fact, I have put together an absolutely free, step-by-step screencast on exactly how to do it. You don’t need any technical knowledge. I walk you through the entire process in exactly 20 minutes,
- My next podcast will be on the topic of “How To Become A Morning Person.” If you have a question on this subject, please leave me a voicemail message. This is a terrific way to cross-promote your blog or website, because I will link to it, just like I did with the callers in this episode.
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.