A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of interviewing my dear friend and neighbor, Ian Cron, about his new book Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me: A Memoir. . . of Sorts (Thomas Nelson). He is one of the best writers I know. I savored every word in the book.
Ian’s new book is about “the unfinished business of grace.” He had a very troubled relationship with his extremely talented but very disturbed father, who was an alcoholic and CIA operative. The book is beautifully written—poignant, sad, and funny. It touched me deeply.
Ian and I hooked up at the Thomas Nelson sales conference for this interview. During our time together, I asked him:
- What is your new book about?
- How did your relationship with your father affect your own parenting?
- How important is it to ask forgiveness of our children?
- What does your writing schedule look like?
- When you sit down to write, are you usually inspired?
- How do you balance writing vs. editing?
- What are your favorite books on writing?
- What is the single most important thing you can do to be a successful writer?