Several weeks ago, I had the privilege of hosting the Chick-fil-A Leadercast Backstage program. I interviewed several notable authors as they came off the stage, including Seth Godin, Sir Ken Robinson, Dan Cathy, Suzy Welch, Frans Johansson, and John Maxwell. I am continuing to share these on a weekly basis.
In this interview, I talk to John Maxwell, New York Times bestselling author and uber-popular leadership speaker. I first met John in 1998, when I came to Thomas Nelson as the Senior Vice President of Marketing for the Nelson Books division. John’s breakout book, The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, was one of my first projects. He has since become a good friend and mentor.As I interviewed him backstage, we talked about several topics, including:
- The growth of the Leadercast conference, which John actually started.
- Why John could never teach a goal-setting seminar with integrity.
- The joy of seeing someone else taking your dream and making it better.
- The importance of surrounding yourself with great people.
- What John is excited about in this stage of his life. (I can tell you this: he is not slowing down one bit!)
- His new coaching company and how people can become trained and certified as a coach. (They already have 800 trained coaches.)
- The fifth level of leadership, what it is, how many leaders make it to that level, and some real-life examples.
- His new book, The 5 Levels of Leadership: Proven Steps to Maximize Your Potential, and why it should be the first book every new leader reads.
- How the greatest leaders take people with them.