Steven Pressfield coined this phrase to describe that invisible, destructive force that opposes you any time you try to start a new project or make an improvement in any area of your life.
I spoke on this topic at the recent Platform Conference, and the response was tremendous. So I wanted to share some practical counter-measures for dealing with the Resistance in your own life and work.
Click to Listen
- Attribute #1: It is invisible.
- Attribute #2: It is internal.
- Attribute #3: It is insidious.
- Attribute #4: It is infallible.
But what can you do about it?
You can only defeat the Resistance by understanding its three primary strategies and applying appropriate countermeasures.
- Strategy #1: Fear. The typical response to this strategy is procrastination.The countermeasure is to START.
- Strategy #2: Uncertainty. The typical response is distraction.The countermeasure is to FOCUS.
- Strategy #3: Doubt. This usually occurs at the end of a project, and the typical response is to quit and leave the work unfinished.The countermeasure is to FINISH.
Defeating the Resistance is essential to your growth, but more importantly it is essential to your transformation. Who you are becoming is more important than what you are doing.
- Jeff Sanders asked, “How do you keep your own creativity from becoming another form of the Resistance?”
- Jen McDonough asked, “What kinds of outside things do you bring into your life to help fight the resistance?
- Joanna Holman asked, “How do you know what you are facing is Resistance rather than a sign that what you are doing is not the right thing for you or you are doing too much and need to back off?”
- Marc Schelske asked, “What has helped you to stop the cycle of perfectionism and get the product out the door?”
- Sue Detweiler asked, “What are ways that we personally create Resistance and sabotage our own progress?”
- Travis Dommert asked, “How does the Resistance work in the presence of a group?”
- If you are considering launching your own platform—or just getting serious about it—you need to start with a self-hosted WordPress blog.
This is not as complicated as it sounds. In fact, I have put together a step-by-step screencast on exactly how to do it. You don’t need any technical knowledge. I walk you through the entire process in exactly 20 minutes.
- The Launch Conference for this fall is filling up fast. In case you don’t know, this is the conference for professional speakers or those who want to be. It’s all about the business of public speaking.
Specifically, we teach you a powerful, four-part framework designed to help you:
- Discover your assets.
- Design your products.
- Develop your market.
- Determine your value.
This is the conference that launched me into my professional speaking career. We will be holding the conference on September 16–19, 2013 in beautiful Vail, Colorado.
This is one conference that will pay for itself almost immediately. I paid for mine in the first month after I attended.
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Book: The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Book: Do the Work by Steven Pressfield
- Book: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller
- Book: The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) by Seth Godin
- Course: Get Published
- Membership: Platform University
- Podcast: Episode 28, “Reengineer Your Morning Ritual”
- Software: Evernote
- Quote: W.H. Murray on Commitment
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: How has the Resistance shown up in your life? What have you learned about it? You can leave a comment by clicking here.