Over the course of my career, I’ve listened to thousands of sales pitches. These have come from authors, speakers, vendors, employees, investors, and even politicians.
Some of these pitches were remarkable; most were not. Those making them squandered the opportunity to make the sale. What they needed was a carefully-crafted “elevator pitch.”
I’m sure your familiar with the concept. An elevator pitch is simply a short summary of your product offering, including your target market and your value proposition.
The name comes from the idea that you should be able to deliver a succinct, compelling description of what you offer in the time it takes to ride an elevator up a few floors—approximately 30 seconds to two minutes.
The idea originated with entrepreneurs who needed to pitch their business proposals quickly to potential investors in order to secure funding. This enabled those same investors to quickly eliminate ideas that were ill-conceived or simply didn’t fit their investment profile.
In this short video, I explain why you need an elevator pitch (even if you are not looking for investors) and how you can create one. Specifically, I share:
- Why you need an elevator pitch—even if you never share it with anyone else.
- How an elevator pitch helps you better understand your customers’ needs.
- The way an elevator pitch can help you attract the resources you need to succeed.
- The four components of an effective elevator pitch and a live example of how it works. (We had a lot of fun with this one!)
Teaching business owners, entrepreneurs, and leaders like you to how build a platform—and your business—is our primary focus at Platform University. Check out what we have coming up next month, inside the membership.
- In our Master Class I share seven questions to ask about this past year as you begin to plan for next year. My goal is to set you up for your best year ever. That begins by getting clear on what worked this year—and what didn’t.
- In our Member Makeover, Megan Miller and I review the platform of one of our members and give our top ten recommendations for taking her platform to the next level.
- In our Backstage Pass I share my favorite WordPress plugins. These are the ones I am currently using.
As usual, I will be hosting our members-only, Live Q&A Conference Call at the end of this month. We’ll be talking about “How and Why to be Generous with Your Audience and Your Content.” Our members will have the opportunity to ask me any questions they want about platform-building.
If you’re not a member of Platform University, check us out. I created Platform University to help you build your platform bigger and faster than you could on your own. Don’t miss this chance to get the inspiration, training, and resources you need to succeed.
Question: What new product or service do you have that could benefit from a carefully crafted pitch? (Extra points if you share the pitch itself in the comments!) Share your answer on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.