In this podcast episode, I talk the essence of authentic leadership. What is it? Is it simply influence or is it something more.
I have always been fascinated by this topic. Perhaps because I enjoy creating models that try to explain something people want to know about.
Click to Listen
In the last few weeks, I have been interviewed several times: at the Chick-fil-A Leadercast, the Catalyst Dallas Conference, and then a couple of interviews for my new book, Platform. Because I my blog is mostly about leadership, the interviewer inevitably asks, “So how do you define leadership?”
Most experts I know define leadership as influence. Certainly, I think that is one aspect of it, but I don’t think it’s the whole story. Instead, I suggest that authentic leadership has five marks or characteristics:
- Authentic leaders have insight.
- Authentic leaders demonstrate initiative.
- Authentic leaders exert influence.
- Authentic leaders have impact.
- Authentic leaders exercise integrity.
If we are going to maximize our leadership, we have to pursue all five of these characteristics. It all begins by leading ourselves well.
- Question #1: Carrie Jones asked, “Is there ever a time that authenticity disqualifies you from leadership?”
- Question #2: Chris Stevens asked, “How do I set myself up as an authentic leader from the get-go of a new job?”
- Question #3: Donny Vaughn, asked, “Is it possible to be a leader without being vocal?”
- Question #4: Perry Holly asked, “What are the top two or three obstacles that get in the way of us becoming authentic leaders?”
- Question #5: Randy Peterman asked, “How do you become an authentic subordinate, given workplace politics?”
Next week, I will be talking about “Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World,” the topic of my brand new book. If you have a question about that topic, please leave me a voice mail. I’d love to hear from you.
- My new book, Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World, started shipping on April 25th. However, I am once again asking that you refrain from buying it yet.
Why? Because I want to register as many sales as possible during the first official pub week of May 21–25 in order to have a shot at driving the best sellers list.
To make the wait worth your while, I have put together a bonus package of seven FREE BONUSES worth $375.98! To get this special bonus offer, all you have to do is buy the book. I can’t tell you more yet, but you can signup here to be notified when this special offer is available.
- I will be speaking at the BlogWorld & New Media Expo in New York City on June 5–7. I will be leading one of the “Super Sessions” on Thursday, June 7th, at 9:00 a.m. You can register here.
- We will be offering the next SCORRE Conference in Vail, Colorado on October 17–20, 2012. The last one sold out in about a week. If you have ever wanted to come to SCORRE, or ever thought about becoming a professional speaker, or just want to communicate more professionally, this is your chance to grab a ticket before we sell out.
I mentioned the following resources in the show:
You can download a transcript of this episode here.
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
I want to hear from you! Please leave me a voicemail with your question. I may use it on the next episode of my show. If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.