You and I spend more time at work than any other single activity. Yet, I meet so many people who are unhappy in their job.
If we are going to experience true job satisfaction, we need to understand the components that make it possible. We’ll talk about this plus what to do if you hate your job.
Click to Listen
Here are the three components that must be present for you to experience job satisfaction.
- Component #1: You must have passion.
- Component #2: You must be competent.
- Component #3: You must have a market.
If you have all three of these components—passion, competence, and a market—you experience satisfaction. Few things in life are more rewarding. However, you have to be wary of having only two.
- Passion + Competence – Market = A Hobby
- Passion + Market – Competence = Failure
- Competence + Market – Passion = Boredom
So, what do you do if you are in a job you hate?
Many people feel trapped in a job they hate but don’t believe they can quit. They feel stuck and, as a result, their life is miserable. If this describes you, here are seven strategies for making work more tolerable:
- Strategy #1: Be thankful you are employed.
- Strategy #2: Put your work in context.
- Strategy #3: Determine the source of your dissatisfaction.
- Strategy #4: Find someone to talk to.
- Strategy #5: Fix what you can fix.
- Strategy #6: Use your job to polish your character.
- Strategy #7: Encourage a co-worker
If you really can’t stand your job, and you have done through the above steps, you need to make plans for a graceful exit. Life is too short to stay stuck in a situation that makes you miserable.
Sometimes you don’t have a choice. But often, you do. You just need a plan and the courage to take the first steps.
- Brad Blackman asked, “How can you have a better attitude about the work you are doing”
- Brent Dumler asked, “What would you say to a 20-something church leader who finds him or herself in the midst of an unhealthy church? When would you advise them to start looking for something else?”
- Chandler Milligan asked, “How do I keep my job satisfaction high when I am striving for a position I am not even being considered for?”
- Cindy Finley asked, “I love my work but feel the tension between job satisfaction and mommy guilt. What advice do you have for me and for other working moms?”
- Mark Gredler asked, “How can I increase job satisfaction and influence things for the better without being perceived as a negative complainer?”
- Raisa Lardie asked “How does debt relate to job satisfaction?”
- My business partner Ken Davis and I will be hosting the SCORRE Conference, May 6–9 at the beautiful Rosen Plaza Hotel in Orlando, Florida. We only have about a dozen tickets left.
Whether you are a professional speaker—or just want to be—this conference will teach you how to prepare with focus, deliver with confidence, and speak with power.
Bottom line: it’s a conference designed to maximize the impact of your speeches. If you are serious about becoming a better speaker, you simply must attend. You can get a $200 discount by entering the discount code HYATT when you register.
- If you are considering launching your own platform, you need to start with a self-hosted WordPress blog. This is not as complicated as it sounds.
I have put together a step-by-step screencast on exactly how to do it. You don’t need any technical knowledge. I walk you through the entire process in exactly 20 minutes.
And, for a limited time, Bluehost—the hosting company I personally recommend—is offering an amazing deal to my listeners. You can get web hosting for as little as $3.95 a month.
- My next podcast will be on the topic of “8 Leadership Lessons from a Symphony Conductor.” If you have a question on this subject, please leave me a voicemail message. This will be my 50th episode, so I want to do something a little bit special.
If I use your question on the show, I’ll send you a free autographed copy of my book, Platform. This is a $25 value. Plus it’s a terrific way to cross-promote your blog or website, because I will link to it, just like I did with the callers in this episode.
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Book: Good to Great
- Podcast: 7 Actions to Take Before You Quit Your Job
- e-Book: Creating Your Personal Life Plan
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: What do you need to do to become more satisfied in your job?