As a leader, what do you do when you have an employee or a colleague who disrespects you in front of your team? What do you do when this employee is a top performer and one of your supervisor’s favorites?
Confronting these people is never easy. However, it is essential if you are going to create a healthy organizational culture that drives the results you want.
Click to Listen
Here are five actions you must take if you are going to retain credibility with your team and move your organization forward.
- Action #1: Get clear in your own thinking.
- Action #2: Count the cost.
- Action #3: Secure your supervisor’s support.
- Action #4: Confront the disrespectful employee.
- Action #5: Give him some time to think about it.
This is the tough stuff of leadership that no one wants to discuss. But it is the necessary stuff. You can’t develop people and take them to the next level unless you are willing to speak into their lives—for their benefit and for your team.
- Christy Tennant Krispin asked, “How do you work in a situation where something might be disrespectful in one culture but not in another?”
- Joe Consford asked, “How do you deal with a co-worker who is being disrespectful, but the team leader is unaware of it?”
- Kwin Peterson asked, “Why do these kinds of conversations intimidate me so much?”
- Michael Moak asked, “How do you deal with disrespectful team members when they are related to the boss or they are older than you?”
- Tom Skilling asked, “How do you confront disrespectful team members when they are volunteers?”
- If you are considering launching your own platform, you need to start with a self-hosted WordPress blog. This is not as complicated as it sounds.
In fact, I have put together an absolutely free step-by-step screencast on exactly how to do it. You don’t need any technical knowledge. I walk you through the entire process in exactly 20 minutes.
- The Launch Conference for this fall is continuing to fill up. If you don’t know, this is THE conference for professional speakers or those who want to be.
It’s all about the business of public speaking. This is the conference that launched me into my professional speaking career. We will be holding the conference on September 16–19 in beautiful Vail Colorado. This is one conference that will pay for itself almost immediately. Check it out.
- My next podcast will be on the topic of “How to Create More Mental Focus.” I will share 10 tactics I use to be more productive and more effective. If you have a question on this subject, please leave me a voicemail message. This is a terrific way to cross-promote YOUR blog or website, because I will link to it, just like I did with the callers in this episode.
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Conference: Launch Conference
- Membership Site: Platform University
- Post: How to Launch a Self-Hosted WordPress Blog in 20 Minutes or Less
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: How have you handled situations like this? What have you done? More importantly, what will you do the next time it happens?