Recently, I recorded a podcast interview with Alex Barker at the Leadership Dojo. He asked me, “So how do young leaders find mentors?” It’s a question I get at least once a week.
To be brutally honest, your chances of finding a mentor are slim and none. The problem is your definition of mentorship. It’s too narrow.
Click to ListenWhen most people use the term mentor, they mean a one-on-one coaching relationship with someone older and more experienced.
It might be informal (someone who advises you ad hoc) or formal (someone who meets with you on a regular basis). Regardless, the demand exceeds the available supply.
Fortunately, organizations like Radical Mentoring are working on training more mentors. But it’s a slow process.
We simply don’t have enough mature men and women willing or able to make the investment.
But (and this is the good news) you can be mentored right now if you understand the four levels of mentoring:
- Virtual Mentoring: Read blogs and books, listen to podcasts, and take online courses.
- Group Mentoring: Go to live conferences, join membership sites, or participate in group coaching.
- Peer Mentoring: Find like-minded peers and be intentional about forming friendships with them. You can also join a mastermind groups.
- Personal Mentoring: Invest in a coach or find a volunteer mentor.
Jesus said, “He who is faithful in little is faithful also in much” (Luke 16:10).
Until you have taken advantage of the lower mentoring levels, you probably won’t gain access to the higher levels. Even if you eventually find a mentor (according to the traditional definition), you’re cheating yourself by not doing what you can now to learn and grow.
Instead of focusing on what you don’t have—a one-on-one, traditional mentoring relationship—focus on what you do have: more opportunities than ever before in history to learn and grow. If you simply expand your definition, you will find mentoring opportunities everywhere.
- Garrett Ira asked, “What would you recommend to new or newly promoted leaders in order to build their credibility with more experienced team members?”
- Gary Thomas asked, “Are the differences in leading volunteers compared to paid staff?”
- Andy McCormick asked, “Should I be concerned about changing the name of my company if it no longer fits my current business offerings?”
Tip of the Week
If you are feeling a little down during this time of year, you’re not alone. You may be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD.
If you are experiencing “the winter blues, here are five items to consider:
- Sleep—are you getting adequate rest?
- Sunlight—If you can’t get enough natural sunlight, I recommend the Philips goLITE BLUE Light Therapy Device. This is what I use.
- Diet—are you eating healthy, nutrient rich foods?
- Vitamins—are you taking a good multivitamin?
- Exercise—This stimulates your entire system (if it is vigorous enough), releasing endorphins.
- If you are considering launching your own platform—or just getting serious about it—you need a self-hosted WordPress blog.
This is not as complicated as it sounds. In fact, I have put together a step-by-step screencast on exactly how to do it. You don’t need any technical knowledge.
By the way, I just updated this screencast recently, so it has the latest and greatest information available. I walk you through the entire process in exactly 20 minutes.
Click here for more information.
- If you’d like to ask a question with a chance of having me answer it on the show, please leave me a voicemail by clicking below:
This is a terrific way to cross-promote your blog or website, because, if I use your question on the show, I will link to it—just like I did with the callers in this episode.
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Book: Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Conference: The SCORRE Conference
- Course: Podcasting A-Z by Cliff Ravenscraft
- Course: The Ultimate Advantage—Create Your Own Mastermind Group by Dan Miller
- Device: Philips goLITE BLU Light Therapy Device
- Membership: Platform University
- Screencast: How to Launch a Self-Hosted WordPress Blog in 20 Minutes or Less
- Site: The Leadership Dojo.
- Video: How to Create Your Best Year Ever
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: What mentoring opportunities do you have NOW that you haven’t taken advantage of?