Inside your head and mine, there is a narrator. He or she is constantly telling us stories. These stories shape how we perceive reality.
In fact, if we don’t intervene, these stories can shape our destiny for the worse. Or, if we are intentional and take control of the narrative, these stories can shape our destiny for good.
Click to ListenYou can change your life by changing your story. There are five ways you can take control of the narrative in your head.
- Recognize the voice in your head.
- Jot down what the voice is saying.
- Evaluate whether this story is empowering.
- Write down a different story.
- Start telling yourself the new story.
- Jana Botkin asked, “How can I tell the difference between telling myself a story of delusional optimism and the truth?”
- Julie Sunne asked, “My inner narrator often take me in a million different directions. Can you offer some pointers for focusing our inner stories?”
- Mary DeMuth asked, “When you are living your story and continue to do the same thing over and over again, getting the same crummy result, how do you encourage yourself to think differently and stop doing that thing that’s not working?”
- Noah Coley asked, “What is your best advice for helping someone understand that they can be the authors of their own story rather than simply reacting to a story that’s been given to them?”
- Russ Hess asked, “Is there a practical way to refocus the meaning we associate with the various events of our lives to lead us to a greater sense of fulfillment?”
- Rob Ketterling asked “Why do you think we work so hard to avoid the change rather than make the change?”
- Bobby Warren asked, “How important is faith in changing your story?”
- If you are considering launching your own platform—or just getting serious about it—you need to start with a self-hosted WordPress blog.
This is not as complicated as it sounds. In fact, I have put together a step-by-step screencast on exactly how to do it. You don’t need any technical knowledge. I walk you through the entire process in exactly 20 minutes.
- The Launch Conference for this fall is filling up fast. In case you don’t know, this is the conference for professional speakers or those who want to be. It’s all about the business of public speaking.
Specifically, we teach you a powerful, four-part framework designed to help you:
- Discover your assets.
- Design your products.
- Develop your market.
- Determine your value.
This is the conference that launched me into my professional speaking career. We will be holding the conference on September 16–19, 2013 in beautiful Vail, Colorado.
This is one conference that will pay for itself almost immediately. I paid for mine in the first month after I attended.
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Post: “Change Your Story, Change Your Life”
- Conference: The Platform Conference
- Book: Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
- Website: Platform University
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: What story do you want to change? How might this change your behavior and your outcome? You can leave a comment by clicking here.