As a leader, you probably have a huge goal in mind. It’s the heartbeat of your ambition, the reason you get out of bed in the morning. Chances are good that you’ve thought about it long and hard, and you may even have a timetable and specific objectives for reaching it.
The problem is that distractions, interruptions, and “business as usual” cause us to loose sight of our goals. Before long, another month, another quarter, maybe even another year has gone by with no progress. It’s disheartening. We know. We’ve been there.
But there’s hope!
Over the years, we’ve developed a killer strategy to ensure you keep making progress on your goals. And it works! In this episode, we’ll give you the simple system we call the 3×3 Goal Achievement Strategy.
If you’re tired of watching your biggest goals slip through your fingers while you’re busy putting out brush fires, this episode is for you! Here’s the system that will give you laser focus on the things that matter most every day.
Here’s what’s coming inside the episode:
- True-life story of what happens when you have goals but don’t implement them. [0:13]
- What makes goal achievement so much harder than goal setting. [3:32]
- The right number of goals to set annually—and quarterly. [5:25]
- How limiting your focus multiplies your achievement. [6:16]
- How we select our own Big 3 Goals for each quarter. [6:50]
- The difference between a goal and a project. [7:35]
- How to translate quarterly goals in to weekly achievements. [8:15]
- How to use the Eisenhower Matrix to pare down your to-do list. [9:25]
- Why looking back periodically can help you make progress in the future. [11:41]
- A simple hack to make time for imporant-but-not-urgent items. [12:17]
- The secret reward you get for focusing on only three daily tasks. [14:14]
- How your choice of daily actions drives progress on your annual. [15:30]
- Examples of our daily to-do list. [16:10]
- The difference between a task and a project (and why it matters). [16:36]
- The well-known business principle that supports choosing just three daily actions. [17:16]
- How to harness the power of alignment for goal achievement.[19:30]
- Why we make no distinction between personal and professional goals and tasks. [21:23]
- Two different strategies for selecting daily tasks on weekends. [23:55]
Once you’ve heard this episode, don’t be intimidated by the process of narrowing your focus. Just try it! If this strategy doesn’t work for you, that’s totally fine. But we think it’ll be a game changer. You’ll start seeing daily progress on your most important goals.
Share the Love
Are you following us on Instagram? That’s the best way to keep in touch with our latest thinking, get previews of upcoming products, and even go behind the scenes a bit our work and family lives. Instagram is our personal favorite social channel, and yes, we really do read your comments and often respond. Follow @michaelhyatt and @meghmiller to get the latest.
While you’re at it, why not share this episode there or in on own favorite social media. Remember the hashtag #leadtowin.
Resources from this episode