To scale yourself, you need to delegate your work to others. But delegating tasks isn’t as easy as it sounds. No matter how hard you try, the results often don’t meet your expectation. It’s frustrating, and it can feel like a waste of time.
It doesn’t have to be! Delegation is a skill, and you can learn to do it well. Having risen through the ranks in a number of businesses, we’ve learned the secret to delegating like a pro. By communicating four key pieces of information, you’ll get a stellar result every time. You’ll avoid having to re-do tasks. And you’ll gain tons of time to spend on your high-leverage projects.
Here’s what’s waiting for you inside this episode:
- How we learned delegation—the hard way! [3:13]
- What’s at stake in learning to delegate effectively. [3:58]
- How to create clarity in your delegation, from the very start. [5:11]
- The first word you should use in your delegation request. [6:41]
- How to get clarity on what you really want to accomplish. [7:55]
- The reason you must communicate the rationale behind your delegation. [9:01]
- How to craft a narrative that communicates the why behind the what. [10:48]
- How to craft a bulleted rationale for a delegation request. [11:31]
- A quick way to envision the parameters you should communicate to your delegate. [12:59]
- Typical parameters you may need to communicate with any project. [14:12]
- The key secret to getting the result you want. [17:03]
- A simple hack for defining and communicating your key outcomes. [17:55]
- Examples of how to picture the end result for your delegate. [19:10]
- How long it should take you to delegate a project—and how much time it saves. [20:56]
- The Five Levels of Delegation and how to make them work for you. [23:10]
- The single best reason you should master this skill. [28:24]
Are you ready to delegate like a pro? Grab a copy of our 5 Levels of Delegation Cheat Sheet, and you’ll have all the information you need, right at your fingertips. You can do this!
Be the Friend You’d Like to Have
We’re betting you have a friend or two who could really benefit from all this great advice on delegation. Drop a link to this episode in your favorite social channel and tag your delegation-challenged friends and coworkers. I guarantee they’ll thank you for it. Don’t forget the hashtag #leadtowin.
Resources from This Episode