Every leader needs an assistant to manage low-leverage tasks so they can focus on driving results. A world-class assistant can easily remove 15 or 20 hours’ work from your plate every week. But many executives aren’t used to the daily rhythm of working with a right-hand person. Others have tried it before and had a bad experience.
You may wonder if really need an assistant—or feel unsure about how to leverage one fully.
If you’re dithering about hiring an EA—or if you have an assistant but don’t feel like you’re getting full value—this episode is for you.
My ace executive assistant, Jim Kelly, joins the podcast to talk about how he takes a ton of work off my plate so I can concentrate on growing my business. Honestly, I don’t know how I ever did this without him.
By the time we’re through, you’ll be dying to get the help you know you need. And? You’ll have the confidence to begin delegating effectively, right from the start.
Here’s what’s inside this episode—
- Why you need a world-class assistant. [1:34]
- The communication rhythms that make a strong EA partnership. [4:33]
- The automation tool that can help you leverage asynchronous communication with an EA. [6:18]
- Simple hacks for using your EA to tame your inboxes. [8:29]
- Should your EA respond to messages in your name, or their own? [10:20]
- Automated tools to help your EA communicate for you. [11:51]
- What is “calendar proofing” and why should your EA do it for you? [13:29]
- How to know when you should make a template for a given task. [14:57]
- Should your EA answer your phone? [16:18]
- How to use two phone numbers with Google Voice to reduce your phone time. [16:31]
- What personal data to share with your EA, what not to. [22:54]
- Should an EA handle “personal” tasks for an executive? [25:40]
- Some personal assistance tasks that an EA can accomplish on your behalf. [30:17]
Here’s a good rule of thumb: If you think you might need an executive assistant, you probably needed one six months ago. It’s time to stop thinking about what it costs to have an EA and start thinking about what it costs not to. Do the math, and you’ll be amazed at how much money you’re wasting on low-leverage tasks!
After listening to this episode, you’ll be more than ready to pull the trigger on the most important hire you’ll ever make. And you’ll have the confidence to do it!
Are You the Only One?
I’m guessing you’re not the only one who has been unsure about how to work with an EA. If any of your friends are managers, executives, or entrepreneurs, you probably know quite a few people who need this content!
Do them a favor and share this episode in your favorite social channel. Be sure to tag your most-overwhelmed friends. (Trust me, they’ll thank you for it!) And remember the hashtag #leadtowin.
Resources from This Episode