Criticism is inevitable, and it stings. But only the foolish sting back. The wise pause, evaluate, and turn it to their advantage. Here are four disciplines to help you better handle—and even benefit from—criticism.
Listen to the Audio
Watch the Video
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why receiving criticism and handling confrontation is essential for anyone in a leadership position.
- Why it’s crucial to pause between the stimulus of criticism and our response to it.
- What kind of critics warrant a response—and who doesn’t.
- How defensiveness sabotages ourselves and relationships.
- How we let shame inflate our response to criticism.
- Why sometimes people deliver criticism with more force than they intend.
- How to handle criticism in a group setting.
- Why it’s essential to own our missteps and wrongs—all the way.
Read the Transcript
Join the Conversation
My favorite part of doing these podcasts is participating in the conversation they provoke. Each week, I ask one question. This week, it is this:
Question: Think of a time you handled criticism well and a time you didn’t. What was the main difference and how did you feel afterward?
Binge on All 13 Episodes!
If you want to listen to more episodes, you will find all thirteen audio episodes of Season 3 here. I release the video episodes weekly, as they are not yet available for batch listening. If you are looking for previous episodes, you can find Season 0 here, Season 1 here, and Season 3 here.
Explore Additional Resources
In this episode we mentioned the following resources:
- Book: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- Book: Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs
Ask Me a Question
If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. We’d love to hear from you.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
Share the Love
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show.