Welcome to Season 4, Episode 3 of the This Is Your Life podcast. Stu McLaren is filling in for my regular cohost Michele Cushatt. In this episode, we discuss why learning to lead means learning to follow.
If you want to be an effective leader, it’s critical that you first learn to be an effective follower. It sounds counterintuitive, but without the character and skill formation that comes from learning to follow, you’re almost guaranteed to be a poor leader.
Listen to the Audio
Watch the Video
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- Why empathy is crucial for effective leadership—and the best way to learn it.
- What the worst leaders think about themselves and others.
- How to frame your objections if you disagree with your boss—and what to do if he or she insists.
- That helping people get what they want is the key to getting what you want.
- Why it’s important to let your work speak for itself and give credit to others.
- Why you need to be willing to invest in somebody else’s dream before pursuing your own.
Read the Transcript
Join the Conversation
My favorite part of doing these podcasts is participating in the conversation they provoke. Each week, I ask one question. This week, it is this:
Question: What leadership lessons has following taught you?
Binge on All 13 Episodes!
If you want to listen to more episodes, you will find all thirteen audio episodes of Season 4 here. I release the video episodes weekly, as they are not yet available for batch listening. If you are looking for previous episodes, you can find Season 0 here, Season 1 here, Season 2 here, Season 3 here, and Season 4 here.
Ask Me a Question
If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. We’d love to hear from you.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
Share the Love
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show.