Welcome to Season 4, Episode 8 of the This Is Your Life podcast. Stu McLaren is filling in for my regular cohost Michele Cushatt. In this episode, we discuss how to start setting goals that actually work.
When I speak, I’m amazed at how many people in the audience recognize the value of setting goals. I’m also surprised by how few actually do it. I’ve been setting and achieving big goals most of my life, and I’ve identified five simple goal-setting principles that will help you get results.
Listen to the Audio
Watch the Video
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- How writing down our goals actually helps us accomplish them.
- Why it’s critical to keep reviewing your goals until they’re complete—plus one little hack to help you do it.
- Why it’s best to keep your goal list short—and why it helps to take your short list and make it even shorter.
- Why you need a mix of professional, relational, and personal-care goals.
- The necessity of making your goals as specific as possible.
- How discomfort can be your friend when it comes to achieving goals that really matter.
- Why you need to be careful in sharing your goals—but how to make selective goal-sharing work for you.
Read the Transcript
Join the Conversation
My favorite part of doing these podcasts is participating in the conversation they provoke. Each week, I ask one question. This week, it is this:
Question: What would be possible in your life if you could finally get traction on your most important goals?
Explore Additional Resources
In this episode we mentioned the following resources:
- Book: Write it Down, Make it Happen by Henriette Anne Klauser
- Book: Push by Chalene Johnson
- Study: Dr. Gail Matthews’ research on written goals
- Goal-setting course: 5 Days to Your Best Year Ever
- Chrome App: List Goal
Binge on All 13 Episodes!
If you want to listen to more episodes, you will find all thirteen audio episodes of Season 4 here. I release the video episodes weekly, as they are not yet available for batch listening. If you are looking for previous episodes, you can find Season 0 here, Season 1 here, Season 2 here, Season 3 here, and Season 4 here.
Ask Me a Question
If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. We’d love to hear from you.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
Share the Love
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show.