When I started blogging, using my platform to make money was the furthest thing from my mind. Back then, I just wanted to share my ideas and connect with others.
Now that I’ve build an entire business around my platform, that may be hard to believe. But, I just didn’t know what was possible, and I definitely didn’t know how to get started.
In this short video, I explain exactly how I began monetizing my blog, and, more importantly, how you can do the same—regardless of the size of your audience.
If you dream of going pro, or maybe you simply want to offset the costs associated with blogging, here are three ways you can begin monetizing today:
- Affiliate Sales: What if you could make money just by recommending products you already use and love? You can! This is the perfect option for beginners because you don’t need a big following. But remember, make sure to follow the rules I outline in the video to avoid comprising the trust of your audience. This option can easily bring in a few hundred dollars a month (or much more) if done well.
- Advertising: Once you reach about 10,000 unique visitors a month, advertising is a great option. Think it’s too complicated and overwhelming? Think again. I provide some trusted resources to take the burden off of you so you can focus on creating attention-grabbing content. By leveraging your audience in this way, you could even make thousands of dollars a month.
- Products: I know what you’re thinking, “What kind of product could I create.” Here’s the truth, everyone is an expert at something—including you. By leveraging that expertise, you can create a product your readers will be lining up to purchase. The sky’s the limit on this one, and it’s easier to get started than you think.
Here’s your assignment: Depending on your platform size, pick one of the options I discuss in the video and jump in. You have nothing to lose and this could very well be the beginning of making your dreams com true.
My advice is to just start. You will be surprised by how much opportunity is out there, just waiting to be discovered.
Teaching bloggers just like you to make the most of their platforms through monetization is just one of the many things we teach at Platform University. Check out what we have coming up this month, inside the membership.
- In our Master Class I sit down with artist management and personal branding guru Robert Smith. We discuss the power of generosity as a strategic tool to grow your business and build trust.
- In our Member Makeover, Megan Miller and I review the platform of one of our members and give our top ten recommendations for taking his platform to the next level.
- In our Backstage Pass, my daughters and I share what it’s like to work together and how we maintain healthy boundaries between work and family time.
Finally, I will be hosting our members-only, Live Q&A Conference Call at the end of the month. We’ll be talking about “How and Why to be Generous with Your Audience and Your Content.” Our members will have the opportunity to ask me any questions they want about platform-building.
If you’re not a member of Platform University, check us out. I created Platform University to help you build your platform bigger and faster than you could on your own. Don’t miss this chance to get the inspiration, training, and resources you need to succeed.